Wednesday 8 July 2009

Almost Time

Just over 5 minutes to go until the long awaited Ashes series gets underway in Cardiff. I think it's going to be a close run thing and I can't wait for next Friday when I have a ticket for the Lord's test.

The Aussies are in the latter stages of a transitional period and are still a strong team, but England have been blending a very useful team together too. My heart says England will win, but my head really doesn't know what will happen.

Let's hope that winning the toss is a good omen and that England can get some good runs on the board this morning. Their bowlers are inexperienced of English conditions and if they struggle first thing it could set the tone for the series.

For me it's hard to see beyond Pietersen as the top English run scorer and for them I think Ponting will be up for it as he is unlikely to be back again in 2013. I do expect Mike Hussey to score a lot of runs though, as he did in the years he spent over here with Northants.

As for bowlers, I'm pleased to see England going into this one with two spinners and Swann could get quite a few wickets in the series. I do think overall though that Anderson and Mitchell Johnson will be the top wicket takers for their countries.

11 o'clock - c,mon England!

No comments:

Post a Comment